Sunday 18 October 2009

20 Week Scan

Tuesday 16 Jne 2009.

We have just been to the hospital for Lynne's 20 week scan. Like the previous scan, the screen was filled with vague grey blobs, while occassionally something recognisable would flash into view. The skull, with the faint butterfly of the brain inside it, a wee pair of legs, and what the nurses described as a 'beautiful spine'. I think thats the only time anyone is ever going to say a thing like that about your backbone, but it was good to see. Lynne said she thought it looked like a sardine, while I was reminded of the chicken-spine curries that old Indian woman used to bring into the shop for Sam.

But the upshot is that the Mark II is going to be a fully functioning human being, with the right number of hands and feet and everything. Hurray!

So thats it. We are halfway through the pregnancy and I still don't have a job. I'm not even worried about it any more, I've been through that and out the other side. It'll help if we are both there when the baby arrives. I don't think Lynne is that worried either, though she does spend her time buying maternity dresses off Ebay by the thousand. Maybe compulsive shopping is a symptom of inner trauma. It could be. In my limited experience of women I have noticed that their worries are a tree-like tangle of 'what ifs' branching off in infinite regress. Then again, maybe she just wants to look nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment