Wednesday 31 March 2010

How The Hell Are We Going To Get Knocked Out In The Quarter-Finals Now?

Imagine my horror when I saw this. I couldn’t even bring myself to read the article. It looks like the team England will be sending to South Africa is going to be made up of snapped players, hobbling about with their hips popping. This is distressing. I am not generally interested in football, or any sport really, but I do enjoy the odd 90 minutes of nationalism when the World Cup is on.

It reminds me of an argument I had with an American friend who had been here long enough to start to enjoy a game of football actually played with the feet. He said that as the game gained popularity in the US, with the amount of money they could throw into the enterprise coupled with the sheer size of the country, it was only a matter of time before they won the World Cup. For some reason this simple opinion made me incredibly angry.

‘You what!? Scotland will win the World Cup before America ever does!' I yelled at him. 'And that’ll never happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment