Friday 13 November 2009

Winning Bread

Today I did an honest day’s work. An agency guy phoned me last night to go and count heads in a college in town. They are building new facilities and want to survey how the old ones are used so that they can see what they need. Absolute waste of money, paying me to do what I did today, but it got me out of the house and the guy sounds like he will put more work my way. Hurrah!

I was posted in the unimpressively-named Allan Glenn's Building. I think The Allan Glenn Building has a bit of a better ring to it, but then there's not much you can do with a name like Allan. All day I patrolled the seminar rooms with a clipboard, counting classes full of sports science students who stared back at me with slack-jawed incredulity. Good canteen though, for lunch I had what seemed to be a deep fried sausage roll with a side of tepid beans. I was glad to be finished after eight hours of this, I wanted to get home and cuddle my daughter.

On the way back I bought some lamb chops in Sainsburys to celebrate, and found that I nearly have enough nectar points to get a fiver off my shopping. This is where being unemployed gets you, obsessing about nectar points. This level of spendthriftery is made all the more ridiculous since every so often I crack and buy fags, which I then have to smoke by stealth because Lynne thinks I have quit. You don’t get nectar points on fags either.

No comments:

Post a Comment