Monday 17 January 2011

Vocal Perambulation (is that even a word?)

Tonight, after we had bathed the baby and put her in her pyjamas, she pulled herself up with a chair leg and tottered across the floor towards me, smirking with her nose in the air.

It's as if something has just been switched in inside her. For weeks she has been pulling herself round holding onto he furniture, wobbling and falling over. It's been nerve-wracking. Every time she was upright I could feel my eyes scanning for all the hard edges she could hit her head on. Proper walking? It's about time.

Talking too! Her vocabulary (which previously comprised wishful thinking on my part and strange grunts on hers) has blossomed. She keeps it simple, pointing at her cup and saying 'Milk!', picking up the TV remote as if it's a phone and saying 'Hello!', sitting in front of the bin shouting 'No!'  

Lynne reckons that it is really time to start watching our language. We can't send the baby to nursery saying, 'Shit! Fuck! Shitfuck!' like I do. It would be terrible if the first thing she said to her grandparents was 'Arsebiscuits!' Heheheh. No, it really would, now.

But I think I just need to be more creative in my swearing. Multi-syllable curses that are really difficult to say. That's the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment