Friday 11 December 2009

The Baby Grew Up While I was Out

I should have known better than to take on the assistant vice principal on his own turf. It was the last day of the survey today, and he played a blinder. I can only shake my head in admiration. What he did was this; about 10am he put a sign on his office door saying MEETING IN PROGRESS. DO NOT DISTURB. Then some time around midday he went home, leaving the sign on his door. I didn’t realise there was nobody in his office until 2pm. I have no way of knowing how many people were in the meeting, when they were there, and when the office was empty. I have no numbers for that room all day.

Ha ha! I salute his raw cunning and if I had to be outwitted by anyone I am glad it was him. But I don’t really care. I am finished, and I will get paid all the same.

They say a watched pot never boils, and my daughter seems to have grown a personality while I have been out. She looks up at me and smiles when I come in, a big toothless smile that transforms her into a little person. When I left for work on Monday she was still an inert lump that would just lie there, staring into space and blinking. It's surprising how much she has come out of herself in so short a space of time. There are other changes too. She has decided that she is no longer willing to sit about in a dirty nappy. She now tells us if she needs to be changed. She also likes to shout; as I was changing her she was grinning, kicking her legs and saying ‘MAAUUGH!’ This is the start of conversation. She is more aware of the world around her and will gaze in wonder at a rattle or a stuffed zebra that squeaks, where she showed no interest before. I can’t wait until she starts to laugh.

But I don’t think I have missed anything. Things I might have missed are her first trip to Braehead, an epic journey on the bus that Lynne took her on yesterday. The furthest I have been with the baby so far is Partick Library, but more on the outside experience in a later post. Today she hawked up her first loogie. Apparently she sneezed up a huge ball of snot and Lynne didn’t keep it for me to see. Babies born by c-section are a bit more mucusy for the first few weeks because they haven’t been wrung out in the mangle of vaginal birth.

Anyway, now that I am officially unemployed again we can get back into the old routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment