Tuesday 22 December 2009

The Interview Before Christmas

Yesterday I had a job interview. I will hear if I got the job in the New Year. It’s only part-time, but this is really perfect for us if I am to keep up my duties as house-husband and look after the kid once Lynne goes back to work.

Irritatingly, there are many people for whom this plan does not compute. This is the 21st century, the sexes are meant to be equal, gender roles have been flipped, but still we keep meeting people who just don’t understand how Lynne could have a decent job and bring home good money, while if the situation was reversed, and I was working and Lynne stayed at home, nobody would think that was weird at all. The idea of a woman being able to earn enough money to support her family seems to be a complete blind spot for a surprising number of people. I can’t help feeling that people somehow think that I’m taking the piss.

Never mind. I don’t need to wrestle bears to know I’m a man. I don’t have time, I’ve got nappies to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment